Friday, August 7, 2009

Earplugs, anyone??


Sorry we're late - today's post was delayed due to technical difficulties between my home network and the all-powerful Google!  Nothing like being helplessly broken down on the information highway when you've got a blog post to make!!

High amongst the many charming qualities of Frenchies is their snorting.  Not just an occasional snort, but a plethora of different ones depending on the circumstances. Brutus has love snorts (complete with love snot), "pay attention to me" snorts (almost a bark), "I'm looking for my favorite toy in the box" snorts (long & deep),  "I'm bored" snorts (end in a sigh), "I'm hungry" snorts...  The list goes on & on, and they all have a slightly different sound.  

With the good, ya' gotta take the bad - which brings me to something that akin to snorting, SNORING.  Frenchies are "brachycephalic" (which literally means short head, go figure!), and have a very long soft palate, which often actually extends into their windpipe.  The tissue that flops around as a result is what's responsible for all the odd sounds in the snort/snore department. Don't expect to have a silent night with a Frenchie in the bed!

To say the least, Brutus is a champion snorer; from the moment he falls asleep, regardless of the position he lays in, he snores pretty much constantly all night!  I've gotten so used to it that I find it almost soothing - then again, I do wear ear plugs... Hey, at least I kick my husband less frequently than I used to, telling him to roll over because he's snoring!  I just assume it's Brutus (and there's nothing you can do to stop him) and roll over myself.

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but I feel for this I must give you a video so that everyone can have an appreciation of the Frenchie snoring phenomenon.  So now I bid you all a relaxing weekend by ending with a video of the peaceful Brute, fast asleep on the couch.  Might want to turn up your computer's volume, since I have trouble with the audio being too quiet when I post (and I want you all to get the full effect!).  Until Monday....


20 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Woo were NOT alone with the Google 'issue'...

Nice snoozzzzzzy Brutas!

Happy Weekend!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

Brutus, your snoring is adorable. Mom says we snore too. Dad likes it - says it reminds him of growing up with his grandpa snoring in the other room.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Brutus!
You have a very cute snoring sound!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

SEDONA said...

Big noise for a little dog! You sound like my human dad :-)
I wonder if I snore too? I sleep too far away from anyone to tell me!
Have a great weekend.
Your pal,
Sedona

Two French Bulldogs said...

Don't worry Brutus, mom woke me once because I was snorin so loud.
Giggles,
Benny & Lily

Jan Mader said...

Oh Brutus...your snore is cute...You should hear my Maddie (King Charles Spaniel)...she can wake the dead. In fact, some nights I have to shake her to get her to stop.

Did I mention that in the summer she sleeps above my pillow and around my head. It's noiser in the summer than in the winter when she sleeps curled up in the crook of my legs!

Sam said...

Wow! And I thought my dad was a bad snore-er. You certainly rival him, Brutus! You cute little thing :D

Have a great weekend!

Ziggy Stardust said...

Brutus, I have missed you, and you are looking as handsome as ever, even with the snorting. I don't snort or snore, but I have a cry that brings my family to their knees begging for mercy.

licks and sniffs, Sasha

Martha said...

How relaxing - nice gentle snoring!
You look so absolutely adorable Brutus in that video!
We also had problems with Google yesterday.
love
Martha & Bailey xxx

Bijou said...

BOL Brutus! Your snoring is just too cute!!

Wow you musta really been sound asleep. Mom can never get pictures or video of me sleeping.

Wags & wiggles,
Bijou

Bijou said...

Pee ess,

Google was being stoopid yesterday for us too.

Bij

Mack said...

You like to snort & snore?? ME TOO!

I don't snore too often, but I have a whole vocabulary of snorts!
Isn't it great being brachy??!!

Astrid Keel said...

sounds just like my daddy... except he outweighs you by aver 150 pounds! BOL! What a great video

Oskar said...

He looks very cute while he's snoring!

We have a small little tortishell cat that snores loud enough to wake us up too!

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

so precious - we dont snore - but woodrow moans and whimpers when he dreams - you are too precious - and what a cool collar you are wearing in the video

Woodrow - Sweetie - Sherman

Dexter said...

Hey! I snore too. A lot! Nothing wrong with that.

Slobbers,
Mango

Achieve1dream said...

Darn! For some reason I can't watch Blogger videos. They only play for just a second and then it stops. :(

ScrapsofMe said...

I've heard rumours that I snore. Don't believe a word of it. Ladies don't snore. We may snuffle or whimper....but definetly we don't snore. But I will fess up to twitching. I twitch when I dream of chasing squirrels.
Bonnie

Mia said...

LOL!!!! Brutus don't worry, I sound like that when I'm awake!!! The momma says I make less noise when I sleep than I do when I'm awake!!! Unless I sleep in the big bed, then all bets are off!! You can hear me at teh other end of the house. The momma wears ear plugs to bed too!!! Such a sweet sound.

Lucy-Fur, as typed by Dr. Liz said...

Heehee! My big little sister TaiChi is almost 18 years old, and even though she's a miniature poodle, she snores when she sleeps. Mom says it's a very soothing sound, and has no need for those 'white noise machines'.

*kissey face*
-Fiona