Friday, December 4, 2009

Family Photo Fridays


 I was going through some old family photos the other day.  As an only-child daughter of an only-child mother and small family on my dad's side as well, I've be the recipient of a lot of family memorabilia.  As I was searching for some specific photos (which I never did find...), I kept running across photos some of long-gone the furry members of the family.  

It reminded me of some of the old-time photos that Bijou & Banjo (from One Puppy's Life) post as their Wordless Wednesday, so I thought it would be fun to do the same thing with the old family family photos that happen to have dogs in them.  Some will be from my lifetime, but most will be from long before I was born. Don't know how many weeks I can keep it going, but until I run out of pictures (or I get the sense you all are getting bored of the idea), each Friday will be a snapshot of my extended furry family tree!

It seems appropriate that my own father gets the honor of the first post.  He had a few dogs throughout his childhood, but it's his boxer Louie who holds the biggest place in my dad's heart.

 
Louie was trully my Dad's dog (as opposed to the family pet), and what a looker he was!  My dad was just telling me last night about how there were 9 champions on his sire's side, and just as strong of a pedigree from his mother! Sounds like Louie was man's best friend in every sense of the term, a loyal companion for sure.  Although he was gentle giant and surely a gentleman under normal circumstances, Louie had the boxer instinct to use his front feet and weight to do what he felt was necessary if he perceived my dad needed his help (even if it was just some good ol' fashioned roughhousing with a friend or my grandpa!).   

The first photo is my favorite, but I'll also include one in technicolor to do justice to Louie'e lovely coat. Ironically, his expression here reminds me of Brutus, a real go-getter who is always on the lookout for something!


Hope you've enjoyed this change of pace (A post without Brutus?  How can it be??), and hearing a little about Louie. Tune in next week for the second edition of Family Photo Friday.  Brutus & I wish you a great weekend, we'll be back with results from our APDT rally trial on Monday!

15 comments:

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Can it be - are we first?? We love this idea and think it would inspire others to do likewise.

But we did miss the Brute!

XOXO
Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

What a fun idea. I really would have liked to get to know Louie. He is awful big though.

Unknown said...

What great finds!! Nice photos :-)

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Brutus??? Brutus??? Where art thou Brutus???

We do love your Dad's Boxer!! Very handsome and statuesque!! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Smileys!
Dory

Dexter said...

Well, I can see that doggies with smushy noses and floppy jowls run in the family. It is fun to see those old photos.

Slobbers,
Mango

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Great idea. We loved meeting Louie. This makes our mom wish she had more of her parents and grandparents memorabilia - she knows there had to have been lots of animal pics in there.

Happy weekend, the OP Pack

Cocorue said...

we love the idea and we've always enjoyed Bijou's pics....

looking forward to your fridays
chikisses

Deborah said...

I love the idea too! Hmmm, I wonder if I can find any older photo's. I come from a big dog family!!! My Mom & Dad both raised dogs before and after their divorce!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

FURRY MUCH!

We had been doing it on Tuesdays fur a while but got away from it -

That was khwite khool!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Lorenza said...

You had a pawesome idea!
I am going to tell my grandma about it and maybe she can find at least a picture with a family dog!
Thanks for sharing your Dad's and Louie's pictures!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Bijou said...

Hi Brutus,

We loved seeing your old family photos. Louie was a very handsome doggy!

Waggles,
Bijou

Taffy said...

It is so fun to see old family photos. I love the memories they bring. Great photos of Louie. He must have been one special boy!
Snuggles,
Twix

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

We love seeing old family photos. Such a great idea!

Pugs & Kisses,

Yoda & Brutus

Two French Bulldogs said...

Awwww we love Louie. See something about our cute smashed faces! BOL
Benny & Lily

Freya's Human said...

What a lovely post. Louie was a beautiful dog.